Volunteer as a Puppy Raiser?
This is an amazing volunteer opportunity for dog enthusiasts to contribute to the program by providing early education before service dog training starts.
- You’ll love learning a lot about dogs and their training.
- You’ll be forming a close relationship with one of these future service dog heroes
- You’ll enjoy the unconditional love and support of these miraculous creatures while you help them to get ready for their future as service dogs.
- You will be able to take your service dog in training many places you go to get them ready to face all these environments confidently with their Veteran partners after they graduate.
What does it take to be a Puppy Raiser?
- No previous dog training experience is necessary.
- Puppy raisers have to be able to take care of the puppy independently or as a family.
- Regular meetings in the Portland Metro (Oregon) area with a PAVE trainer are part of this program to help you.
- Puppy raisers have to be dedicated, willing to learn and grow with your puppy in skills, adaptable, aware that their important contribution makes it possible for the future service dog to blossom.
- You’ll have clear guidelines, training, and support throughout the process.
If you love dogs and are looking for a way to give back, but don’t have time to commit to regular puppy raising, fostering is an option.
Your dedication and commitment to learn will lead you to appreciate these amazing dogs even more. Foster opportunities arise when a dog in training or fully trained service dog needs a shorter-term home to continue their learning. This can vary from a weekend to a few months.
If you are interested in these unique opportunities, let us know.
Help Veterans Regain Their Freedom
Service dogs save lives. Help us to help Veterans by supporting PAVE. Your support and generosity go directly towards helping our Veterans and more donations mean more service dogs for Veterans in need.